Following the successful launch of the “Up We Go Mzansi” movement and its anthem “Bayete Mzansi” (performed and recorded by PJ Powers and The Mzansi Youth Choir) on 3 May 2021, the Department of Sport, Art and Culture’s Social Cohesion Advocates Programme launch phase 2 of the “Up We Go Mzansi” movement.
The campaign consists of three pathways of engagement:
- Get Talking:
- Up We Go Mzansi are focusing on the theme “Speeches that Changed our World” showcasing short film remakes of South African speeches that brought great impact: Thabo Mbeki’s “I am an African” and Zozibini Tunzi’s 2019 Miss Universe speech on women empowerment. These are produced by BTE Network in partnership with South African celebrities and influencers including Peggy Sue Khumalo, Stella Dlangalala, Tumelo Don Mosenye and Rose Hall.
- Up We Go Mzansi encourage youth-focussed community-based organizations/schools/individuals to hold events (online or in-person) where youth will watch these video clips. They will then use the Talk Group guide provided by the gold Youth Development Agency, to discuss topics brought up in these speeches and broader social cohesion themes. Through this process, the youth are invited to come up with their own actionable solutions to issues in their communities. Guidelines to take part in this engagement pathway can be found on www.upwegomzansi.org.za
- Up We Go Mzansi Creative Competition
- Following watching the “Speeches that changed the World” clips and engaging with the Talk Group, the youth are encouraged to enter the nationwide Up We Go Mzansi Creative Competition, calling on young people to help motivate and inspire all people living in South Africa, to harness their collective talents and strengths, and move our country upwards together. This creative youth arts competition encourages participants all over the country to share their voice of expression to inform our collective journey.
Entries in the following creative categories are accepted:
- Word (spoken word: speech/poem/story)
- Art (any form of artwork/photography)
- The Up We Go Mzansi campaign is excited to share these entries as a way to continue positive messaging and igniting innovative ideas for change throughout our country.
- All entries must reflect the Up We Go Mzansi mission statement: a movement calling every person in South Africa to harness their collective talents and strengths, and to move South Africa upwards together.
- Entries to be submitted through either the Up We Go Mzansi WhatsApp line +27 61 543 7290 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry assumes agreement to competition Terms and Conditions (found on the website)
- For more information on the Up We Go Mzansi Creative Competition please go to https://www.upwegomzansi.org.za
- Prize money allocations are as follows per category:
- 1st place = R25,000 (prize money per category)
- 2nd place = R12,500 (prize money per category)
- 3rd place = R5,000 (prize money per category)
- The Competition opens for entry on Monday 3 May 2021 and closes at midnight on 13 June 2021.
- The public will participate in the final voting process once the finalists are announced.
- Take Action
Finally, the campaign encourages all people in South Africa to share their ideas and challenge one another to Take Action where they can; ideas that will take us individually and collectively upwards as a nation! Let’s share our stories and skills, so that more people can find the pathway to achieve their goals. Have a look at the Take Action page of The Up We Go Mzansi website to find out more and be inspired!
The Social Cohesion Advocates believe that the answers for a better future lie within South Africa’s youth and that their energy can help spark the motivation that will lead to fireworks of positive change across South Africa. “Up We Go Mzansi” is a movement calling every person in South Africa to harness our collective talents and strengths and to move South Africa upwards together.