Uber recently announced the launch of Uber Connect – a new feature that allows users to send packages through the app.
While restrictions continue to ease in level 2 of the nationwide lockdown, social distancing is still imperative – Uber Connect aims to keep users connected while encouraging social distancing with its new on-demand, no-contact delivery solution for family and friends.
Frans Hiemstra, General Manager for Sub-Saharan Africa, says, “We have been working tirelessly to find innovative ways to leverage our technology to make it easier than ever to send packages or items while unlocking additional earning opportunities for drivers on our platform.”
Read More | Stricter alcohol laws proposed for South Africa including a new legal drinking age
Whether it is siblings returning forgotten clothing items to each other or a mother sending nappies to a friend who has run out, users can simply send it by requesting “Uber Connect” through the app. “We’re excited to see the creative ways that users will continue to do their part by staying home, but using technology to stay connected,” explains Hiemstra.
Packages sent using Uber Connect must total less than the equivalent of R1500 in value per trip and be less than 15 kilograms. The parcel must also be able to fit comfortably in the top box of a motorbike.
It goes without saying that there are a variety of prohibited items banned from being couriered, these include but are not limited to; medication, recreational drugs and any dangerous or illegal items.
How to use Uber Connect:
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Type in the destination in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the vehicle option (you may have to swipe up for the option)
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your delivery-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip.
- As you see the motorbike approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the top box
- Share the trip with your recipient so that they can track the trip and meet the delivery partner outside to retrieve the package from the delivery partner
Read more trending news, right here.