According to Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants, the United Kingdom’s Home Office has announced several changes to the UK Immigration system that will come into effect this month (April 2021).
Last year the UK announced its new Brexit point-based system for South Africans wanting to work in the country. It said the new system will reportedly see all EU and non-EU residents treated equally in terms of immigration.
The country said applicants wanting to live and work in the UK would need to score at least 70 points in terms of qualifications and certain requirements, some of which are non-negotiable, such as being fluent in English as well as having an existing job offer with a required skill set.
Read More | The United Kingdom announce new point system for South Africans wanting to work in the country
Now, The United Kingdom has expanded its Shortage Occupation List (SOL), with additional positions that South Africans can use to immigrate to the UK. Jobs on the SOL, make it easier for a person in these roles to qualify for a skilled worker visa.
From April 2021 the UK Government will include the following occupations on the UK Shortage Occupation List:
- Laboratory technicians
- Senior care workers
- Nursing auxiliaries and assistants
- Health services and public health managers and directors
- Residential, day and domiciliary care managers
- Modern foreign language teachers
Other visa changes include the introduction of a new graduate visa that international students in the UK can benefit from which is set to launch on 1 July 2021.
The visa will allow students to stay in the UK for two years upon completing their studies. Students with a doctorate will be allowed to stay for three years.
Read More | Watch: Non-compliant passenger kicked off FlySafair flight
The global talent visa will also see some immigration changes, for example, it will soon be possible to bypass the endorsement criteria if you have received a prestigious prize such as a Nobel prize, Grammy, Golden Globe etc.
While details have yet to be confirmed, further changes expected to be made to UK immigration laws by 2022 include:
- Introduction of an elite points-based visa in 2022
- The United Kingdom Government will reform the Global Talent visa by allowing holders of international prizes and scholarships to qualify automatically
- Update the Innovator visa to make it easier for persons with the right skills to obtain a permit
- Introduce a Global Mobility visa in the Spring of 2022. Businesses will be able to establish a presence or transfer staff to the United Kingdom by using this visa
Read more trending news, right here.