Last year September, Netflix announced it would be trialling a new mobile subscription for South Africans. After months of testing, the streaming giant announced this week that it has officially launched its Netflix mobile service, which is now available in South Africa and the sub-Saharan Africa regions.
“After several months of testing, we’re excited to launch a new mobile plan in South Africa at R49 per month. This plan will make it even easier for anyone with a smartphone to enjoy Netflix. At home or on the go, now more people can watch all the shows and movies Netflix has to offer, wherever and whenever they want,” said a Netflix spokesperson.
Everything you need to know
- The Netflix mobile plan can be accessed on a tablet or a smartphone. And allows one stream in SD (520p). This means, at one time, only one device can play it.
- Members who subscribe to the mobile plan will have the same access to the entire Netflix catalogue available in Africa.
- You can still have up to 5 different Profiles on the mobile plan. However, you can only stream only on one device at a time.
- There are no ads, and you get all episodes at once, just like you get with all of our existing plans.
- Netflix mobile users will have access to the same catalogue and all mobile features—Smart Downloads, adaptive UI, 5 profiles, profile PINs, maturity settings—like they do on existing plans
Smart Features to provide optimal streaming experience for mobile plan users:
- There is adaptive Bitrate which intelligently makes streaming efficient and uses less mobile data for more hours spent streaming (to give you an idea, up to 6.5 hours on 1GB.)
- Adaptive Android UI optimises the Netflix app intelligently for entry-level Android phones (phones with under 1GB RAM).
- You can also share to Instagram stories. Members of the mobile plan can let their friends know what you enjoyed or are enjoying on Netflix.
- There is also smart downloads that helps you manage your downloaded series. It downloads the next episode over wi-fi, and deletes the one you have seen.