South Africa confirms 116 COVID-19 cases and the Western Cape shuts down a long list of public facilities


Photo by visuals on Unsplash

[UPDATE: Just in 116 cases have been confirmed as of 18 March 2020 – scroll below to see updated cases]

After almost 48 hours with no information, The South African government released a critical update close to midnight last night. South Africans are counting on clear and concise information and two days of silence, while rumours spread of more infections is hardly the upfront communication we were hoping for.

Last night, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize confirmed that there are 23 new coronavirus cases in the country bringing the total up to 85 (now 116). Of the 23 new cases, two are infants and 8 (now 14) are local transmissions, meaning none of them had any previous history of recent travel.

Related | Pick n Pay launch special shopping hour for people over 65 amidst coronavirus chaos

The announcement is apparently late due to the fact that tests were done by both private and local laboratories. While the private tests came back first, officials waited until the governmental results came back to release the new data. This kind of delay is more than concerning as South Africans need access to the latest data as soon as it’s available. The rise from 62 cases to 85 (now116) marks a 35% increase.

The new cases of confirmed are as follows:

UPDATED CASES IN TWEET BELOW.

GAUTENG: 14 new infections

A 45-year-old man who had travelled to Belgium, UK, France and the US

A 37-year-old man who had travelled to the UK

A 54-year-old woman who had travelled to the USA

A 52-year-old man who had travelled to the UK

A 25-year-old man who travelled to the UK

A 52-year-old woman who had travelled to Italy

A 59-year-old man who travelled to the UK and Dubai

A 57-year-old man who travelled to the USA

A 60-year-old man who travelled to the USA

A 37-year-old woman who travelled to Italy and Dubai

A 21-year-old woman with no travel history

A 34-year-old man with no international travel history

A 26-year-old woman with no international travel history

A 32-year-old woman with no international travel history

WESTERN CAPE: 5 new infections

A 3-year-old male who travelled to the UK

A 58-year-old man who travelled to the UK and Austria

A 62-year-old woman who travelled to the UK and Ethiopia

A 71-year-old woman who travelled to the UK

A 2-year-old male with no international travel

KZN: 4 new infections

A 48-year-old man who travelled to Dubai

A 59-year-old woman with no international travel history

A 5-year-old male with no international travel history

A 3-year-old male with no international travel history

In an effort to #flattenthecurve, Cape Town city council confirmed on Tuesday that it would be withdrawing permits for any and all public events in response to the Covid-19 outbreak.

“In light of the national disaster declaration by President Cyril Ramaphosa in response to the Covid-19 coronavirus, the city of Cape Town has taken the decision to withdraw permits for previously approved events,” JP Smith, the mayoral committee member for safety and security, said. Smith said the city’s permit office would also not accept or process new permit applications until the disaster declaration has been lifted.

Furthermore, the city of Cape Town announced that is would be closing a number of its public facilities in light of the global pandemic. As with all travel bans which come into effect today, 18 March 2020, the following facilities in Cape Town will also be closed from Wednesday 18 March 2020 until further notice:

  • Swimming pools
  • Camping sites
  • Museums
  • Art centres
  • Community halls/Civic centres
  • Recreational hubs
  • Stadia
  • Spray parks
  • Resorts
  • Braai and picnic spots
  • City sports fields
  • Nature reserves
  • Furthermore, visits by the City’s Mobile Office have been suspended until further notice

The following can be done online: 

  • e-Billing
  • Careers
  • Informal trader bay applications
  • Land use and building plan applications (DAMS)
  • Motor vehicle licence renewals
  • Municipal accounts
  • Pet registration
  • Report a fault or request a service
  • Supplier self-service
  • Identity documents uploads
  • Company registration documents
  • Tax clearance certificates
  • Bank statements upload
  • Affidavit uploads
  • Conveyancing
  • Indigent applications


Like it? Share with your friends!

Sigh.

5 Comments

  1. What about casinos and gyms where there is swet and people touching the same equipmemr?

  2. Why dont they put a stop to this bulk buying supplies. There is other people who cant afford to buy in bulk so when they go to the shops the shelves is emty. Mask should be free. Pharmacies is charging people R100 for 1. You 6 in a family or more, how much money do they make just on mask.

Comments are closed.

X