By Eliza Cro Day
First Thursdays is one of the easiest ways to fall in love with Cape Town every month. The city walk-about takes you down the strip of art galleries littered on Loop and Bree Streets and attracts visitors from 1st year Michaelis kids, to skaters, wanky art geeks, tipsy moms and everyone in between, all swaying in wine-soaked states and devouring the fresh talent displayed on the walls. The light is soft, the night is young and there’s no better place to be.
Having saved it for last, I subsequently missed it after staring longingly at his work online. Sucks for me, but I’ll catch it in the week and I hope you do too. If anybody has seen it already, let us know what you thought in the comments.
Anyway, there were loads of incredible works and the generally awesome atmosphere you can always expect from First Thursdays. I’m no art expert but here are the MyCityByNight favourites:
- Walking on Water by Zaan Claasens
- Long Street by Nasser Zadeh
- Non Serviam (Dot) by Adriaan Diedericks
- The Red Canoe is Coming by Lizza Littlewort
- An Embarrassment at Riches by Lizza Littlewort
- Aqua Lady by Andrew Hart Adler