Back in the 1930s, a young James Copeland set out to avoid the curse of prohibition and form a Swing & Big Band operation in Havana, Cuba. However, a bus carrying most of the band members on the way to their 1st recording session crashed on a mountain pass and they were all killed.
New technological advances in the studio meant that a sparse recording could be made, but even more amazing was that once the tapes were processed, mysterious bits and pieces of music and phrases began to appear. It was speculated that perhaps these sessions had brought more than just James Copelands’ vision to life…
In later years he was to travel further afield exploring different musical cultures, always amazing the locals with how he seemed to capture the sound of a full band on his records whilst seemingly alone…
James Copelands 5Fm Ultimix @ 6
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/12154437″ params=”show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=734041″ width=”100%” height=”81″ ]
1. james copeland – The future according to copeland
2. Goldfish – Humbug ( James Copeland Remix )
3. James Copeland – Tea party
4. Monkey Safari – Saturday night fish (James Copeland Remix)
5. Dj Tavo – Hollywood / Black and Tan
6. Bruno Otranto and Dani Carrera – Burlone ( James Copeland Remix)
7. Milk and Sugar feat Vaya con dios – Hey nah neh nah ( Lissat and Voltaxx remix )
8. Green Velvet – Turn it up ( James Copeland remix)
9. Goldfish – Get busy Living ( James Copeland remix)
This 30min mix was done by James Copeland for 5FM on 14 March 2011 to promote The Flamjangled Tea party. There are still some downloads available so get your hands on this mix while you still can. It’s worth it.