1. Thanks for chatting to us Sivan. Tell me, when did you take your first photograph and think, I want to be a photographer?
Sivan Miller: I took my first photograph when i was 16 years old, when my mother brought me back my first digital camera from overseas. It was the first time I had ever seen one of these, before it was all film. I just knew from this point on.
2. What type of photography do you specialise in?
Sivan Miller: I specialise in Fashion Photography.
3. Here is a moment to big yourself up… Tell us about the work you have done over the last few years?
Sivan Miller: I have worked with many clients and many different brands over the years that I have been shooting. My most exciting job has to be the shoot I did in the UK with the Face Of Nivea. We shot this in an amazing studio under one of the subways. It was just incredible. Another amazing project was with Wembley Square and Vida E Cafe. It was a project based on using recycled clothes. Vida placed bins in all their stores. All the collected clothes got given to multiple designers and then each design got shot and then displayed at Wembley Square afterwards. Shooting many editorials has also been amazing, seeing different locations all day, travelling around, I love it. Shooting in the UK is also incredible, worked with the top agencies in the world their.
4. If you could work with any model in the world, who would it be and why?
Sivan Miller: I would definitely work with Cara Delevinge. She has a great attitude which is not associated with a typical “model”. She can play many different roles and always rocks it!
5. If you could work with any designer in the world, who would it be and why?
Sivan Miller: I would work with yohji yamamoto. His design asthetics are incredible! It is mind blowing how he creates his clothing, he is 100% fashion forward!
6. Which local brands do you enjoy working with?
Sivan Miller: I enjoy working with Ackermans, Edgars, Total Sports, Sports Scene, all the brands are amazing!
7. What are currently working with in terms of equipment?
Sivan Miller: I am working with all Canon Equipmant. Canon 5DMk3 + L Series Lenses. When I go into studio I stick with Profoto + Briese.
8. If you could choose 3 locations across to shoot, where would you choose?
Sivan Miller: I would choose Phi Phi Island , New York City, Vietnam.
9. There are a lot of ‘photographers’ in and around Cape Town, what piece of advice would you give to aspiring photogs to get that unique style?
Sivan Miller: All I can say is practise practise practise. I am a self taught photographer. It is a lot of hard work but if you want it you will get it. Developing your eye is key. Understanding the camera is also very important. Understanding Fashion is also extremely important. If you want to do fashion Photography, you have to understand the fashion well / dealing with people is very important.
10. Where is your favourite spot to shoot in Cape Town?
Sivan Miller: I have many differnt spots I love to shoot depending on the scene. The beaches are incredible, but I also love the deep jungle forsest scenes we have. Cape Town really offers any location you desire, it has it all!