De Hoop Collection takes great pleasure in inviting you to its 2021 Wine Whales & Music Weekend, a three-day celebration of wine, whales and music from Friday 23 to Sunday 25 July 2021.
De Hoop Collection, a hallmark Cape Country Routes property in the pristine De Hoop Nature Reserve with accommodation ranging from affordable self-catering chalets to upmarket fully catered lodges, is the perfect destination for a weekend getaway.
The 2021 Wine Whales & Music Weekend is a fabulous profusion of wine tastings, high tea, gourmet dinners, special performances by jazz duo ‘Hanna and Bram’ on Friday evening, and the world-class ensemble Whale Time Serenade with celebrated musicians Malané Hofmeyr-Burger on flute, Peta-Ann Holdcroft on cello, Irina Tsoniff and Ivo Ivanov on violin, and Vladimir Ivanov on viola.
Read More | A list of winter 2021 specials from top hotels around the country
Workshops on chocolate-making with Richard von Geusau, and pizza-making sponsored by Gideon Milling, guided marine and bird walks and whale-watching. And adding to the mix, De Hoop Collection is delighted to announce that Professor Mike Bruton will be the guest speaker – he will be talking about Finding Old Fourlegs: The Remarkable Story of the Coelacanth, a fascinating and uniquely South African story.
”I‘ll be reviewing the whole coelacanth saga with digital slides and will bring the story up-to-date with the discovery of a living specimen off the coast of KZN by amateur divers in late November 2019. I’ll also be covering aspects of marine conservation and exploration, emphasising how little we actually know about our marine life and how ‘citizen’ scientists can make meaningful contributions in this regard.
Wine Whales & Music Weekend Itinerary – Wine Whales & Music Weekend itinerary
Friday 23 July
- 4 pm Nature Drive with delicious canapés and drinks (R375 per person, kids u/12 half price)
- 6 pm Wine tasting with Sijnn Wines in Fig Tree Restaurant
- 7 pm Gourmet Dinner with wine pairings by Sijnn Wines and a musical evening with the jazz duo Hanna and Bram in the Fig Tree Restaurant
Saturday 24 July
- 8 am Guided Bird Walk along the Vlei (R175 per person, half-price kids u/12)
- 8 – 10:30 am Breakfast
- 10 am Chocolate-making workshop with Richard von Geusau (R100 per person, R50 kids u/12)
- 11 am – 3 pm Wine, Beer, Gin and Cheese Tasting – enjoy a selection of wines and cheeses from local wineries and cheese farms
- 11:30 – 2:30 pm Pizza workshop – learn to make your own dough and create your own pizza (R120 per person, R60 children u/12)
- 3 pm High Tea in the Cloete Room
- 3.30 pm ‘Finding Old Fourlegs: The Remarkable Story of the Coelacanth’ with Professor Mike Bruton
- 7 pm Whale Time Serenade for strings and flute – featuring world-class musicians Irina Tsoniff, Ivo Ivanov on violin and Vladimir Ivanov on Viola, Peta Ann Holdcroft on cello and Malané Hofmeyr-Burger on Flute – with Dinner in Fig Tree Restaurant
Sunday 25 July
- 8 am Breakfast
- 9 am Checkout (if going to Koppie Alleen)
- 10 am Guided Marine Walk at Koppie Alleen (where the coastline is exactly as it ought to be – unspoilt and brimming with life) watching the whales with Prof Bruton and De Hoop’s expert guides
Rates to stay at De Hoop for the Wine Whales & Music Weekend, range from R2 170 per person sharing a 4-sleeper cottage for a two-night stay to R5 194 per person in a suit. The Weekend rate – for a minimum two-night stay – includes entertainment, wine and cheese tasting, two dinners and breakfasts, high tea and a visit with the whales. Drinks and guided activities are excluded – Nature Drive – R375 per person (children u/12 half price); guided Bird Walk – R175 per person, children u/12 half price); Chocolate-making workshop – R100 per person, children 12/under – half price. Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
If however, you only want to spend the day at De Hoop, then Saturday 24 July is the day for fun – family fun at De Hoop. Contact Danitsa email@example.com
T’s & C’s apply.
De Hoop Collection
Phone 021-422 4522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
De Hoop social media handles:
De Hoop Collection is a Member of Cape Country Routes.
In keeping with protocols regarding the Coronavirus, De Hoop Collection adheres to all stringent health and safety cleaning protocols – the safety of their guests and staff being of the highest priority.
About De Hoop Collection
De Hoop Collection – the first private/public partnership in the South African hospitality industry – opened in the De Hoop Nature Reserve in the Western Cape in 2007. The Reserve in the Overberg region, a short three hour’s drive from Cape Town along the world-renowned Garden and Whale routes, is the perfect holiday destination for families, couples, groups, honeymooners and wedding parties, family reunions and birthday weekends and an ideal stop-over en route from the Cape Winelands to Plettenberg Bay. De Hoop Collection offers a wide range of accommodation designed to suit all budgets. The staple of De Hoop’s dining scene is The Fig Tree Restaurant which overlooks the beautiful vlei with its spectacular birdlife, and you can enjoy an exceptional variety of wines from the Silo Wine Cellar. De Hoop, a World Heritage site offers world-class whale-watching and is a paradise for bird enthusiasts with its more than 260 species of birds including the endangered Cape Vultures. As a colony of almost 200 vultures, roost and nest in the Potberg Mountains, exciting Vulture hikes and viewing opportunities are offered; other activities include interpretive marine walks, hiking and mountain biking trails, eco boat cruises on the vlei and Nature drives, tennis or boules. De Hoop – a nature lover’s paradise of unparalleled peace and tranquillity in what may be one of the Cape’s last unspoiled gems.