Last night, the highly anticipated Meghan and Harry interview with Oprah aired on CBS. The couple delved into their time as Royals and discussed what life was like behind closed doors.
From racism to mental health and their controversial departure from Royal life, here are 9 bombshell moments from their interview which airs in South Africa tonight at 19.30, on DStv, channel 101.
- Meghan is pregnant with a baby girl
- Meghan and Harry’s son, Archie wasn’t going to be given any security, or a title when he was born, and the royal family was concerned about his skin colour or how “dark” he would be. When Oprah asked who was having the conversations about Archie’s race, Meghan declined to answer, noting: “I think that would be very damaging to them.”
- Harry denies “blindsiding” the Queen with the announcement they were quitting royal life, saying Charles stopped answering his calls. Harry also mentioned he and his brother, William are on very “different paths” and says that their mother, Diana, would be angry and sad.
- Meghan and Harry actually got married three days before then Royal Wedding
- Mental health is not acknowledged by the Palace. Meghan said she felt suicidal and told Harry she didn’t want to be alive anymore when they were in the UK and at the height of media scrutiny. She pleaded for help from the institution but was told it “wouldn’t be a good look” for them. When she went to HR, she explained that they told her: “my heart goes out to you because we see how bad it is, but there’s nothing we can do because you’re not a paid employee of the Institution.” Meghan did, however, find comfort in one of Diana’s best friends who understood what she was going through.
- Harry reveals that the reason for him and Meghan stepping down from their duties as Royals had to do with “lack of support and lack of understanding” from the Royal family and the fear of history repeating itself, referring to his mother, Diana’s story.
- Harry discussed the moment the Royal family “turned on” Meghan. The prince says his family was very welcoming of Meghan at first, he said it all changed after their South Pacific Tour. “It was the first time the family got to see how incredible she is at the job, and that brought back memories,” he said referring to how much positive press and love the late Diana received. When Oprah asked if there were hints of jealousy, Harry said “I wish we would all learn from the past” explaining that the “effortless” way Meghan connected with the public triggered some Royal members.
- It’s not the Queen who is the problem. Meghan and Harry both revealed their fondness of the Queen, with Harry, saying his relationship with Queen Elizabeth is really solid and they’ve talked more this year than they ever have. However, things with his father are not as peachy. He explained that he feels “really let down” and there’s a lot to work through.
- Meghan and Harry say the interview will be their “last word” regarding their controversial exit from the Royal Family.
Find more trending content, right here and watch the full Meghan and Harry interview with Oprah tonight on DStv channel 101.